- cost efficient bandwidth cost limits
- forward flexibility for future options
- real-time quality of service options
- expanded addressing; supports more levels of addressing hierarchy, more addresses; auto configuration of addresses
- upper layer transport
- has a scope field to multicast addresses and anycast to send a data package to any group of nodes (Nodes are hosts that are not routers)
Although this topic is very important, you will receive the advantages of this protocol without knowlege of why or how it works; but it is fun to know.